Sunday, August 19, 2007

Veni, vidi, vici!

In other words...."I came, I saw, I conquered"! So I finally did my first triathlon....something that I have been wanting to do for several years. It was a sprint triathalon of 1/2 mile swim, 15 mile bike and 5k (3.1 mile) run. I figured that I wasn't getting any younger and the years kept passing....so I might as well just do it! Now...I am ready to do more. It was fun! Or....fun after the fact. My most nerve-racking event, the swim, ended up being my favorite. That could be because it was first and I had plenty of energy then....and no pain. The bike was a bit of a challenge because my feet were terribly numb, along with my shoulders, elbows, wrists and bootie (of course). I knew that it would be tough transitioning to the run....which it was. It took me a good mile to get my legs working somewhat normally. The exciting part of the run was when my lazy legs caused me to trip over a raised piece of sidewalk. I just couldn't catch myself....so, down I went into the dirt. I got up and realized I was still in one piece, so I went on. I ended up being quite a dirt ball! Despite my fall, I was happy with my times and I'm looking forward to breaking them at the next one.


By the way.....Greg also competed and knocked 4 minutes off of his previous time. I think we are both hooked now. Heath is next!
Thank you to our awesome support team of Heath, Grayson, Ruthy, Mariah, Virinda and Clayton. I even got some special harmonica playing as I finished up the race from our talented Aunt Ruthy!



5 comments:

Cara Grube :) said...

Congratulations Jess! What an accomplishment! I have to say, dirt and all, you looked fabulous doing it...I don't think I could look that good in a wetsuit!! You go girl Ü

The Lees Family said...

Congrats Jess! Grayson didn't look too impressed though! Congratulations!

tiffany jeanne said...

You rock! I absolutely cannot wait to run again after the baby's born. Right now I just feel awkward and waddley while doing so! So jealous! Awesome job!

The Mc-Schotts said...

Great job Jess! Wow! I am impressed... Grayson looks beat also! Ü

Cailen said...

Congrats again, Jess! I am proud of you...I might have to pass on my "Supermom" t-shirt to you; sounds like you deserve it! :)