Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My annual half marathon




This past Sunday was the Capital City 1/2 marathon (and marathon, 5 miler) in Olympia. We had the best weather....sun, but not too hot. Normally I don't wear my headphones, but I saw many people with them on this year...so I wore them as well. Usually there is some sort of rule about headphones, but I didn't see it anywhere in any of the rules and they didn't make an announcement either. I run with headphones when I train, so I knew it would be really nice to have them for a race as well. Anyway, it was great to have them. I was in my own little world this year and didn't pay too much attention to other people....I could run my own race! This was the best 1/2 marathon I've ever run (I think I've done at least 10)...I felt awesome! I didn't set any records, but it was the best I'd ever felt. I kept at a steady pace of 9 minute miles, until I had one mile at 9:30. I knew I would have to make that time up somehow. It wasn't too difficult because I ended up making that up and was also averaging under 9 minute miles. Even at the finish line I was still feeling good where I normally am totally wiped out usually feel like falling over at the end. This year I just ran through and didn't even have to take a breather. I really think that spin class has helped tremendously because it has helped with recovery time. Anyway, I loved it and its been awhile since I've actually liked running a 1/2 marathon. I'm looking forward to my triathlon in June!
My time was about 1:55:27 with a pace of 8:48/mile; 19 out of 91 in my age group. Last year I did 1:55:50...but this year I felt a ton better!




4 comments:

MJP said...

good job. Where do you take your spin class?

Mom to Tate and Charlie said...

GO JESS GO!!

Stewart Family said...

that's awesome! great job! my friends and I are just starting training for one in December.. so we'll see if I can join the ranks of 1/2 marathoners!

Brian & Kara said...

Yay! It's one thing to survive, and it's another to feel good! I have not been there yet. You are always an inspiration. AND, you're one of those people who looks good while running too. All my race pictures look like I'm loping, or falling down a hill....you're lucky.