Friday, October 2, 2009

The best tomato soup ever

Here is a simple recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup. It so good and gets raved about all the time. With our surplus of tomatoes...this is a great way to use them up. I don't really do any measurements, its all about how it looks and tastes.



*Cut up several tomatoes (can be a variety of tomatoes...heirloom, roma, cherry, etc) and put them in a roasting pan or casserole dish.
*Thinly slice a whole onion and spread on top of tomatoes.
*Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over the top.
*Sprinkle sea salt, black pepper and variety of herbs (basil, rosemary, thyme, lavender...can be fresh herbs also). Be generous with the herbs and salt (you may have to add more salt after roasting).
*Roast at 425 degrees until tomatoes are very soft and have broken down...stirring periodically.
*After roasting use an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor to puree the mixture. An immersion blender will provide a soup that is a little bit chunkier, while a regular blender makes it very smooth.
*Add extra salt to taste.

*Enjoy with crusty bread!

Yum, I think I'll go make some more right now!

6 comments:

Cailen said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. My sister has been raving about it! Check under the recipes tab on my blog for a no-knead bread recipe that makes a fabulous, crusty, bubbly, kinda sour-doughy loaf. I bet it would be so yummy with that soup!

Stewart Family said...

OMG......... sooooooooo...... yuuuuuuuuuummy!! it's all i would eat if Dan could just get over the onion factor. ugh. and omg!!!! yes!! cailen's bread would go fab with this. i think her bread and your soup would just be fab for my fall party coming up..

Brookreson Family said...

Mmmm...I LOVE tomato soup! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Brian & Kara said...

Wow, that looks so good! Makes me wish I grew some tomatoes and herbs. I bet it's interesting with lavender...

Colleen said...

You motivated me and yes! it was so yummy!
BUT since I don't have an immersion blender, I used my regular one and the top blew off...
right after I had just softscrubbed my countertops...
it was a real mess...
so was I...
and not easy to clean up...
I couldn't stop laughing...
Quite the visual hey??
But it was very good!!
Thanks for sharing!

The Brights said...

Thanks Cailen...I'll have to make that!

Colleen...that sounds like a total disaster! By the way...its always good to put a hand on your blender when blending :) I only know this because I can't tell you how many times that has happened!
Hopefully the next time you make it (if there is a next time) you won't have ANY problems!