Sunday, October 18, 2009

Green tomato canning

This year I just couldn't let all those green tomatoes go to waste. So I picked all of them...and I mean, all of them! We're talking about 50 pounds worth! So, I invited Missy Jo and Kristen over to help me with some new canning recipes. We made southern chow-chow...which is a type of relish that you can put on meats, beans or black eyed-peas. I had this stuff when I was in Mississippi once and I just loved it. Ours turned out great! We also made a green tomato chutney. This turned out pretty good, but we will see how it is after a month of doing its thing in the jar. The preparation of all these things took quite a while, but it was still fun. The girls ended up going a little crazy with the chopping of tomatoes...and we ended up with way more than needed for the recipes. We ended up freezing the extra.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: