Sunday, September 30, 2007

We're back....

Grayson and I arrived today around 11 am after an interesting plane ride. First off....we had a great time visiting Grayson's Grammie, Grandma Tammy, Grandad, Aunt She-She, cousin Gracie, Bibi, Granny, Keira and Jared, Andy and Marissa and 16 month Jaci, and all the dog-dogs. It felt like a short trip, yet it also felt like we were gone for longer than 5 days. We had beautiful warm, humid Texas weather....warm nights that I sooo miss! Nothing beats a warm night to walk out into from a cool house. Not the other way around! We spent quite a bit of time in the car driving to visit family, but it was all worth it. A great experience for Grayson!

So....now the "interesting" part. I'll get to it soon. Grayson developed a fever the 2nd to last night we were there and had a very rough night with sleeping.....which caused me to have a rough night as well. He woke up with quite a runny nose and a slight fever, but was in great spirits, regardless. We went out and got coffee and breakfast at Eurotazza coffeehouse (which is owned by Sheila, aka Aunt She-She's friend Keira)....then went and played around. That night Grayson looked a bit more miserable, but I was prepared with newly bought Tylenol, Benadryl, Kleenex, nose sucker, etc. It still was a rough night....he woke up almost every 1/2 hour or so until about 2am (I think). I believe we finally got a couple to a few hours of sleep closer to morning. I was kind of nervous about flying with a sick little boy, but it had to be done. So, off we went with drugs in tote. He did quite fine on the first leg of the flight to Albequerque and pretty much slept (thanks to lack of sleep at night and a little Benadryl). Note to readers: I don't normally drug up my kid too much, but this called for it. Anyway, the 2nd leg was a bit more fitfull and he couldn't get comfortable for too long with sleep. So, I finally got him out of his carseat and had him sleep in my arms. That worked pretty well. He woke up with about an hour left until gate arrival, so I gave him some water and he seemed interested in having a little snack. By the way, he did eat some yogurt before we got to Albequerque. So, he had some crackers and some grapes. Well, I think he got a little too carried away and got too many grapes in his mouth. He had them chewed up, but tried to swallow them all and kind of gagged. He has a really good gag reflex by the way. So, some coughing and up it all came!! I couldn't catch it and it went all over the place.....grapes, yogurt and all. Now what a major predicament. The flight attendant was very nice and brought us a bunch of paper towels and garbage sacks. I didn't even know where to begin! So, with an upset little boy I removed all of his clothes and the ones I could remove off me. Thankfully, Aunt She-She put his jammies in our diaper bag this morning so I had something to put him in. I had vomit all over my pants, flip-flop, the carpet, the back of the seat, carseat, etc. Anyway, I somehow managed to get it all cleaned up just in time for our descent. Boy did it smell bad!! I was waiting for others to join in on the vomit-fest. Nobody joined....that was surprising! Note to self (and others): Always, no matter how old the kid, have extra clothes on hand!!

It definitely is somewhat of a challenge to travel with a toddler with all the "stuff" you have to bring. I'm one who has to have the carseat on the plane, so its quite a workout getting everything to the plane by yourself and not piss people off. Everyone seemed pleasant on this trip, to which I am very thankful.

I will post some of our pictures as soon as I get our bags unpacked and the stinky vomit laundry done. I've got some great photos from a great trip!

4 comments:

Cara Grube :) said...

What an adventure...can't wait to experience that some day! I can tell you that I've already been fearing the cross-country plane trips to visit Grandparents and family...so reading your story makes me a little nervous! Her first trip she'll only be a couple months old, so we should be safe til next year Ü

Glad you had a good trip otherwise!

Cailen said...

Yikes! That was a yucky adventure, I'm sure. Extra clothes are good, no matter what age. Just last November, Colter fell in a mud-puddle walking into the airport in Cancun, AFTER we let our baggage go. So, after waiting in line for an hour in soaking wet clothes (you can imagine how much fun that was), we went into the first gift shop we found and bought the only clothes they had in his size...A Senor Frogs drinking team t-shirt and matching shorts. Yep, nothing like outfitting your 4 year old in clothes promoting alcoholism to make you feel like a good mommy! Ah, the joys of traveling with kids. I could regale you with even more fun stories, but I can't outdo the vomit story. Good one for Jessica's "Mom War Story Archives," Grayson! You win!

Glad you're back and looking forward to the pix!

The Lees Family said...

Aaahhh, does that bring back memories. When living in NY, we traveled back and forth atleast twice a year. You get used to it and the more you travel, the easier (and well prepared) it gets! Don't worry, just remember, it COULD have been a LOT worse! (I know!) Can't wait to see pictures!

The Brights said...

pictures, pictures, we want pictures!