Monday, November 5, 2007

A few thoughts today...



Its hard to believe that today marks the 4th anniversary of losing my mom and grandma in a tragic car accident. Sometimes it feels so recent, yet other times it seems so long ago. I've definitely learned a few things since then....which I'd like to share. I've also gone from being angry and sad about it to focusing on the positive aspect of what their lives meant to me and my family. However, I think that no matter how long the time, there will always be that empty spot in my life. I think the hardest thing that I often think about is the fact that mom could never see her grandchildren. She wanted so badly to be in that role of grandma and I feel awful that she didn't experience it. But.....I like to think that Grayson has met her somewhere along the way. I want Grayson to know who his maternal grandma was and instill in him the values that she taught us. I miss her tons all the time, but the pain of losing her has definitely lessened over time. "Time heals all things" is a really crappy cliche and I sometimes thought it was a load of BS, but I guess it has a little element of truth in it. Ok....now I'll share a few things I've learned from mom and grandma and also things I've learned along the way since.



  • Love One Another.....its as simple as that! This was grandma's favorite saying and all of the family knew it!

  • Be grateful! Be grateful for your life, health, family, friends, and even the most minor things in your life. Gratitude goes a long way.....it paves the way for more goodness to come into your life.

  • Family and friends are most important....take time for people in your life, you never know when you won't be able to. Go have coffee with an old friend, play with your kids, and quit worrying about the darn house cleaning (this is hard for me).

  • Be kind to people (and animals too)....do something nice for people when they don't expect it.

  • Don't have any regrets....if you do, you have to resolve it or forget about it.....regrets will eat you up.

  • Don't hold grudges and give up resentment with people in your life.....its totally not worth it for anyone, its silly and its very unhealthy.

  • Be the best YOU, you can be.....don't settle for mediocrity, challenge yourself and set goals.

  • Surround yourself with positive people.....don't hang out with toxic people (if you can help it)....they will suck the life right out of you.

  • Take time for yourself....exercise, eat healthy, read powerful and uplifting books, meditate....whatever makes you get rid of stress and energize your life.
  • Just have fun!

Well, that about sums it up for me. Even though I know these things I still have to remind myself on a daily basis. Thanks for reading my ramble! I love you all :)

4 comments:

Cara Grube :) said...

It really is hard to believe that it's been that long...and we still miss them too. You have accomplished a lot of great things in the last few years...things that your mom and grandma would be so proud of...especially that beautiful little boy Ü Thank you for all of your thoughts...they are all so true. Keep doing what you're doing Jess...you are truly an amazing woman, and we're proud to be your family and friend Ü

We love you Ü

The Fields Family said...

I did not know that you had lost family in such a sudden and terrible way. I can't even imagine how that feels. What I do know is it really seems like you have a wonderful family. It is so nice, and a bit rare, that you have such great lessons to take thru life even though you have lost 2 important women in your life. That speaks volumes about what kind of women they were. I am sure you are a great examle of their essence. It is great to know such an inspirational person as yourself. Thanks for the reminder of what is important in life.

Brian & Kara said...

Thank you for sharing all of that Jessica. It hit a spot for me. Sometimes the important things in life sound so simple, but we really to need to remind ourselves of all those things. Real living is remembering we don't have the promise of tomorrow so charish today. Why is that so easy to forget? Maybe you should write a book...

The Lees Family said...

We luv you Jess!