Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Feelin' the heat!

So I think our neighborhood is pretty competitive. Grayson and I went for a run this evening in the dark and couldn't believe how many houses already have their Christmas lights up. I feel totally behind! I have a strict rule that no Christmas decorations can be put up until December 1st. I know that a lot of people do it the day after Thanksgiving.....but until the month turns into December, I just can't do it. It just doesn't feel right. Maybe I am rebelling against all the crazy consumerism around this time of year. Don't get me wrong....I admit that I also will get caught up in it too....just not till December. I devote the whole month of December to Christmas, with decor and by listening only to Christmas music. Anyway, it seems like this year people in our neighborhood are putting up their lights early (except for my neighbor across the street.....she was totally on the same page as me). I am going to stick to my guns....come Saturday morning.....its all about Christmas. When I was a wee one I loved having Christmas lights up all year round.....that drove my parents nuts. Hey....maybe thats where I got my rule!
So, in the meantime I will try not to feel guilty by not starting my outdoor illumination process yet....maybe I will just get the boxes out and prepare for the total insanity that awaits me. Every year I wonder what I get myself into when I start the lighting procedure....it is such a time consuming thing that I HAVE to do....no matter what. I start acting like Clark Griswold! I'm sure I've broken several "electrical" rules too. Oh well....the end result is what keeps me doing what I do! I almost forgot to mention that I also do the lights at dad's house too! I must be completely insane. MUST HAVE LIGHTS!!


Happy decorating all!

4 comments:

Cara Grube :) said...

I can't wait to come see your Griswold light display!! I'm sad that we aren't getting to do anything Christmas-y this year...I would've been putting up my decorations the weekend after Thanksgiving though! In my defense though, Thanksgiving was pretty early this year...usually the weekend after Thanksgiving is almost December. Anyway, good luck and have fun on Saturday! Maybe we'll do a drive-by on Sunday to see how you did!

Love ya!

The Brights said...

Oh my goodness! No pressure or anything! :)

The Fields Family said...

I am on the same page as you, we always wait until it's officially December to do lights. It seems like everyone in our neighborhood is getting them up early too, maybe to beat the rain! I love lights and am excited to show River all the decorations. Good luck getting yours up.

Brian & Kara said...

I know what you mean about the early decorating. Everyone here was decked out for Christmas before Thanksgiving. Can we PLEASE have Thanksgiving?! Anyway...please post pictures of lighting. We're going easy this year so we'll enjoy seeing yours.