Saturday, January 19, 2008

Grayson's update

Well, the Bright household has endured some fun illness times the past few days.   It started off with Grayson waking up around 11pm with vomiting....all over!  This was our first experience of a vomiting child (well, besides the plane incident....see Texas trip blog).  After he got a bath and new jammies he threw up again and we had to change him once more.  He woke up a couple more times in the night with basically dry heaves (he was in our bed so we could monitor him better).  The next day he seemed to be better, but did end up vomiting around 10am....possibly from too much water.  The following day he seemed even better, but threw up again after he had already had milk and some cereal.  This was also the day that Heath came home from work and retreated into quarantine in the guest room.  He was pretty much in a coma from about 3pm till 9:30am the next morning (which was yesterday).  I had grand plans of taking Grayson for a hike at the Nisqually Delta yesterday until I woke up at 6am with stomach cramps and nausea.  So...we had a really fun day yesterday!  Poor Grayson finally felt better and was ready to get out of the house, while Heath and I were down and out.  Since Heath was feeling better, I went into quarantine and stayed pretty recumbant for most of the day.  Today we are both feeling better but still aren't 100%.  Today was also supposed to be our first 1/2 marathon group training run.  So much for that!  

I've been wanting to make a list of Grayson's new words and things he is doing now....mainly for his grandparents to see and to also have a record of.  So....here is an update on what Grayson is doing these days.

*Words (he has been saying quite a few of these for awhile):  hot, dog, up, on, off (sounds like osth), mama, dada, pop, Debbie, down, done, water (wa), more (mo), bed (beay---he points to the dog's beds and says this...hmmm, wonder where he learned that), mail (meal), run, toast, Toots (for Tootsie the dog), hat, orange, backhoe (kind of), excavator (kind of), truck, clock (loves this word), sock (sounds like clock), no (a favorite), hello (when he has his phone to his ear), ball, baby, let's go (sounds like I ko...another favorite thing to say).  For animals he usually just says the sound that they make...like cat, cow, duck, sheep, horse, chicken, lion.  I know there are other words he says but I can't remember any at this moment.

*Daycare:  He now loves going to the gym daycare (we call it playtime)...I barely get to say goodbye to him because he will run off to go play with the toys.  This was a long process to get him to this point, but it is so worth it.  Now I don't feel rushed in my workouts/yoga to get back to him.  When I do pick him up he is usually playing with friends or just with the toys by himself...I love it!

*He understands and follows directions pretty well.  Yesterday while I was on the couch (not wanting to move), I asked him if he could get me a fork for some fruit that he wanted.  He went into the drawer and pulled out a huge serving spoon....that made me laugh.  So, I told him again and he brought back 2 different kinds of forks instead.

*He loves to play outside and go for walks....sometimes walking the dog (Keilah).  We put 2 leashes on her...he gets one and I get one (for control).  

*He has been really starting to become more independent and test us....especially if we aren't paying attention to him at the time.  Scolding is pretty much a joke....he thinks its absolutely hilarious.  Some moms in my book club asked me if this was the same voice I used with the dogs....it absolutely is.  Now I know why it is so funny to him.  He always cracks up when I yell at the dogs.  I'm totally screwed!  I'm probably going to have to figure out the whole time out thing now.  He is really a good boy most of the time, but I think he gets a little cabin fever at home....this is when he starts being a turkey.  However, the other day he ran away from me while we were in the parking lots...thankfully he only ran around the front of the car, but he thought it was a game for me to chase him down.   

*He waves at everyone....and I mean everyone all the time.  Its pretty funny.  He also likes to wave to the dogs and cats when he is going to bed and makes it a point to go say goodnight to each of them.  He also blows kisses when people leave the house.  This is also how he says thank you in sign language.

*Things he loves:  tractors, trucks, airplanes, helicopters, animals, stuffed animals, babies, balls, clocks.  Food:  milk, cheese, avocado, fruit, broccoli, O's, crackers, oatmeal, raisins, cucumber, peas.

Ok...that will do it for now.  Thanks for bearing with my motherly bragging!

6 comments:

Cailen said...

Such a fun age! I personally found him to be a boy genius the other day (having one myself helps me to recognize one when I see one-ha, ha!) He's a good talker. As to not obeying, well, he IS almost two. I would say it gets better, but I am starting to think that's a just a lie older moms tell us to keep us from losing hope. What's worse, being denied the hope that things get easier in the first place or, several years later, feeling duped???? I'm still trying to decide. Enjoy your cutie! One thing is for sure, they keep life interesting!

Brookreson Family said...

Aaahhh...the joys of boys! A mom recently told me that she read somewhere that boys like to just do naughty things even if they know ahead of time they are going to be in trouble for it. I'm pretty sure that's true! I started time out with Jace when he was almost two and he did really well with it for a while.

I think we got that same "sick" bug last Christmas. We ended up taking Jace to the ER on Christmas Eve because he just kept throwing up and then of course everyone that was at our house that day got it too. Oops!

tiffany jeanne said...

The motherly bragging is perfect! It's fun to hear about other kids...and brag about your own...Keep it up!

The Lees Family said...

You are so funny! I remember those days! I can't believe he's going to be two!?! Time goes so fast! I'm so glad you are keeping such good notes on all his milestones! They are so much fun!

The Fields Family said...

Sympathies on the family sickness, no fun. Early this Winter we all had a bought with a serious cold. When everyone is well it really makes a person appreciate health. Grayson is just perfect. He is so cute and has the personality to match. It would be nice if we could stop time once in awhile to just slow down their growing, it does seem to go fast. By the way, River is getting in the toilet as a write this!!

Mom to Tate and Charlie said...

Ick, sorry to hear you all got sick. That sucks. Kids puking is fun, huh? LOL.

Just wait until the potty training begins and you have to deal with poo.....

Adrienne