Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The life of a toddler

So, out of the blue Grayson has become such a toddler. Ok, I guess he's been doing toddler-ish things for quite awhile and is technically considered a toddler....but there are new developments in this department. The "terrible-two's" are rearing their ugly head. Grayson has always been a really good little boy (not to brag or anything)....and we've never had any real behavior issues, excessive crying, naughtiness, etc....but lately we can tell that life as a sweet little baby is nearing the end. Don't get me wrong, he is still super awesome and for the most part listens to what we want him to do. As I write this, he is supposed to be coloring on his paper but has now taken to coloring on his canvas cushy chair....and doesn't have any intention of stopping. These do happen to be "washable" crayons, but since I just got them I don't really know how "washable" they truly are. So for the time being they are now in my possession. Ok...let me get back to my thoughts.

I bought a book the other day....a guide about toddlers. I was hoping this would enlighten me with all the tools to deal with toddler issues. This book is pretty superficial and hasn't given me too much insight besides an overview of general common sense. I would really like a super-nanny to come in and give me a class. I'm one of these people that wants to know everything....I don't like "winging" it all the time. I looked into taking a parenting class for toddlers at the community college, but was too late. Maybe next quarter. But I don't want to wait that long! I am really glad that I have a good group of mom friends that remind me that we are all in the same boat....toddler antics are universal.

So, new things that he has started doing lately are excessive whining and crying when I leave and go into another room in the house or when I take him out of the pantry or do something he doesn't want to do. Hi....typical toddler, I know. I'm trying to ignore the whining, but boy it gets old. Another typical thing is that he will keep doing something when I tell him not to.....he thinks its funny (I guess this is from my dog-yelling voice). He likes to climb onto my antique rocking chair, stand up and start rocking. This would be no big deal except this chair is old and has a broken spring and would easily tip over. Definitely an independence thing....which is good and bad.

We have also created a monster....a sleep monster that is. We've tried various techniques (we think anyway) to get Grayson to fall asleep on his own but nothing but our hands really works. You know how most kids are attached to a special blanket, toy or stuffed animal....well, our kid is totally, obsessively attached to our hands. It really isn't to us being there....its our hands. I asked Heath if he thought a fake hand would work if we put it in his crib. I know this sounds demented, but I'm almost willing to try it. Heath didn't quite agree with me. Lately Grayson is seeming to be more obsessed with our hands and will fiddle around with them forever. He has been waking up in the middle of the night again (maybe due to teething or habit from when he was sick). Last night it was only once, but it takes my hands to get him to fall asleep....and it seemed like it took forever. The night before he woke up 4 times....by the 3rd time I was on pretty much going to lose it and said a few choice words. That was when Heath got up and took charge. Thank God....I felt like I was seriously going mental. So, my new plan for getting him off the hands is to place his soft fuzzy bear/blanket combo in our hands while holding his. My hope is that eventually he will be cool with just the blanket. I'm probably delusional, but maybe it will work...I hope! I've also thought that maybe a somewhat large doll with good hands would work too. I just don't think going cold turkey is an option.

Ok...enough with the ranting....on to the bragging. Even though there are trying times with this toddler age....fun times also still exist we enjoy him all the time. He is really funny, loving and is still my little cuddle bug. I am watching him right now read his favorite book (that has some torn pages out of it).....it really looks like he is reading. He is just staring at the pages and taking it all in. Now he is touching the pictures. Its pretty funny to watch.

We got him a kitchen (I had a Discovery Toys party last week and got it for 1/2 price)....he is really enjoying playing with this. I was thinking I would take it to dad's for him to play with there, but I may keep it here and take something else instead. Its a nice break from all the trucks, tractors, cars, etc that he loves to play with all the time. I'm totally cool with my kid becoming the next Jamie Oliver (love that guy), minus the British accent (but the accent would be cool too).

When I pick him up at daycare....I just crack up. He runs to me from where he is playing....smiling....and doing his silly run. Then he will say "back" which means that he needs to go put the toy he is playing with back. He is very helpful at daycare and at home with putting things away.

I put a little kids table in our living room for him to sit like a big boy and eat his snacks and for doing art projects. He really enjoys sitting there....and tip his chair back like we used to do in school and get in trouble for. Luckily he has his cushy chair in the way so he can't really fall. But I am waiting for the fall someday. I just bought him color wonder stuff (thanks to some of my mom friends), playdoh and those washable crayons. I kind of forgot how cool playdoh feels....except of the lovely residue.

I really need to get a picture of this reading thing....he is really into it!

Favorite word: Backhoe (all tractors are backhoes now).

Well, that pretty much sums it up for now. That was one long post! Any advice or tips are appreciated. Even though the toddler times are here, Grayson will always be my sweet little baby :) (ahhh!)

10 comments:

The Fields Family said...

Ok, River has been a troublesome (but lovable) toddler since the day he came out of my womb. If you find a book that has any answers that actually work, please let me know. Actually he has been getting a bit easier, but I do not expect that to last. Gotta love that independence!!

Cailen said...

Jess, you're a good mom. Don't sweat the bad stuff. One thing I've decided (and I am sharing this with you because I am a fellow research-aholic who firmly believes that the answers to all of my questions EXIST and I have only to find them)is that no perfect parenting book exists. After a couple years of reading tons of books and constantly revising my parenting game and ALWAYS feeling discouraged, I have decided that I have to go with my gut a little more. You're doing a great job and don't worry about being the perfect mom or having the perfect kid. No person is perfect. Just remember, all you have to do is try your best and be "good enough" NOT perfect! Grayson is a sweetie! Ok, have to go and prevent my child from further injuring our dog... sigh. Hang in there!

Brian & Kara said...

Zeb's in his terrible two's also. I'm sorry, it's the only way I can relate, and it's real! Sometimes I want to cry because of it. You know you're gonna raise a perfect child though, don't you? I do.

Brookreson Family said...

Aahh, the twos! I'll take those anyday over the threes! :)
Jace has gone through all the same phases as well and new challenges appear weekly. I'm always searching for answers on how to handle everything and even though I can't find that one perfect book, it helps to take bits and pieces from each book that will work for us. I love watching Jon & Kate plus 8 on TLC! It makes me feel like I'm really not doing such a bad job and it could always be worse. That mom is my hero! Anyway, I had a great time at your party! Thanks for the invite and if you're having aanother one anytime soon let me know. I think I might want that kitchen too!

Cailen said...

Another thing (now that the dog is safe)... Crayola washable crayons/markers ARE amazingly washable. But also, they are superman and kryptonite...let the crayons come in contact with water (or spilled juice from a sippy cup) and they melt into a puddle. FYI. And one more thing, Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (or their generic equivalents) are a toddler mom's BFF. Using them, I have yet to find a type of kid-mischief that can't be wiped off a hard surface. FYI. BTW, I don't think Grayson is un- perfect b/c he is acting out in a toddler like fashion. He is all the more perfect for being that way. I'm just sayin' give yourself (and him) permission to make mistakes. I did not do that the first few years of motherhood and it was rough. OK, off my soapbox now... :)

Mom to Tate and Charlie said...

So, take this with a grain of salt as this is just my take on things. I feel that no book or class can prepare you for how your child acts at 2, 3, 4, ect, ect, ect. But, I also dont mind winging it. LOL. Kids will be kids....
With the crayons, you are right, they are never as washable as they claim to be. I still have "washable" marker on my dinning room table. Grrrrrr. You did the right thing by taking them away.
Sleep issues I can not help with. We co-sleep. We didnt intend to, it just happened. Now, he is three and still in our bed.
And I agree with the trucks, cars, boy toys....Tate has two kitchens and a baby doll. I got him the baby last year for CHristmas.
Ok, I dont think I helped at all, I think I just rambled on....but dont worry...you are doing just fine. ANd if you ever need help, just call. Krissi has my number.

The Brights said...

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! I actually feel like I'm dealing better with his moods today and yesterday. However, when I have to tell the dogs 300 times a day to lay down in their beds....this is when I get irritated. I don't want them outside because they get so filthy....plus our gate is broken from the wind. It may be time for indoor lockdown. I really wanted to keep a tally on how many times I tell them to get in their beds. AHHHHHH! :)

The Fields Family said...

Totally relate with the dogs. It seems they are always the last straw to my patience. Just wanted to mention that Jon and Kate Plus 8 also makes me feel really good. I also love the Mom, she has a great sense of humor.

MJP said...

I can't really relate either, and all my dogs are old and near death I'm afraid. I guess you can call me if you have a girl and they are 8 or better.

The Lees Family said...

Aahhhhhh, memories! Just remember you could be working full time and never get to see him! It has been hard at times, but I wouldn't trade these past years of being a stay at home mom for anything! Also remember it goes by TOO fast so just trying to keep up and doing it with a smile on your face is a big accomplishment! Gotta love the kids! You are a great mom, don't ever forget it!