Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A slight change of plans

Today was supposed to be Heath's first day of Round 3 chemo treatment....but that didn't happen. Last week (on Monday) they did his bloodwork and his white blood count was too low...however, they didn't give him any Neupogen injections because I guess they assumed it would bounce back up. Well....it didn't. I kept having a bad feeling about it too....I wasn't trying to be negative about it, it just didn't seem right that they weren't at least rechecking his bloodwork later in the week. So, when they did the bloodwork today....big surprise, it was too low at .6 (minimum is 1.5). The whole reason we scheduled the chemo when we did was because we knew that we had our annual Sunriver trip next week and wanted to make sure that chemo didn't coincide with that. It still shouldn't, but he will have less days to recover before we need to leave next Thursday. Today he got a Neupogen injection....blood draw tomorrow morning...and probably another injection. We will be pleasantly surprised if he gets to have chemo tomorrow...but we are hoping for at least for a Wednesday start. His doctor did apologize (after Heath told him that I would be mad)....so, I forgive him. I'm over it....fingers crossed for a quick WBC recovery!

On another note....I am getting excited for my triathlon on Saturday (at Ft. Lewis) and for my triathlon in Sunriver next week. The Sunriver one will be longest one to date. I'm feeling pretty good about it too. I'm going to try to treat the Ft. Lewis Sprint triathlon as a training one...but I know it will be hard not to get just a wee bit competitive.

Heath's brother, Blake and his wife Ashley stayed with us for a week (last Monday thru today)....and did a lot of work out in the yard and cleaned both of our vehicles. We had a really good visit...and I will post a few pictures later!

Check out Heath's blog....he finally did some posts!

2 comments:

MJP said...

Too bad about the delay, I am glad that you will be still going on your trip. I will pray for that WBC recovery!!

Colleen said...

Bummer about the chemo obstacle (really?? chemo obstacle?? just does not seem fair or right does it?) - hoping that all goes smooth and that you get to enjoy your Sun River Trip. Good luck with your runs! I heard a rumor that Riley is coming? Very neat! With baby and hubby?? BIG {{{HUUGGS}}} to all of you. I think of you and pray for you often!! Hope you feel the love!