Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lymph node biopsy

Heath's lymph node biopsy went well today. They ended up putting him totally under...which we all agreed was the best thing. The doctor said it would be difficult to totally numb the area well enough so it would be best to have general anesthetic. Yeah...who wants to see a scalpel nearing their jugular! He would have had a pretty good "mickey", but still the full anesthetic is best. Everything seemed to go well...and the surgeon removed the whole lymph node that was the most enlarged (and visibly so by looking at his neck). Heath is still a bit numbed up on the left side of his neck where it was removed so he hasn't really had any real pain yet. He is trying to stay ahead of the pain anyway with meds. After the surgery we went out to eat because he was famished since he had nothing to eat past 11 pm last night. We were wondering what the waitress was thinking about him being all drugged up and bandaged on his neck and where the IV was. All in all, we had a great experience with all the nurses and doctors at the surgery center. We were very appreciative of their excellent care and great sense of humor!

Results to come soon....

10 comments:

Brian & Kara said...

Lots of prayers and fingers crossed!

Cailen said...

Heath and my sister need to form a "Living without lymph nodes" club! Glad to hear the surgery went well. We are anxious for biopsy results. Get well soon, Heath!

Colleen said...

Gosh, I have been behind lately and just found your last couple of posts! Shocked!! I am praying for you both and hoping for the best results possible! Hang in there Heath... Big {{huggs}} to all of you!!

Stewart Family said...

I'm sorry to hear you guys are going through this, but you have a great attitude it seems! I guess you have to, right? I'll keep my fingers crossed and you guys in my prayers. And yes, I agree with my sister... Heath and I should have lymph node club tshirts made!

Cara Grube :) said...

Jess, I'm so sorry to hear that you guys are going thru such an ordeal. Of course we will be praying for Heath's health and recovery, and for strength for all of you. We will be hoping for good news, but if you do have to fight...Heath's young, healthy, and has a great support system, and all of those things are SO important! We're just down the road if you need us...PLEASE let us know if you do!!

Mom to Tate and Charlie said...

Glad it went well!! Hugs & prayers.

MJP said...

I am glad that part is over with, I am sure everything will be fine.

joyce said...

thinking of you guys... hope you get good news. and, if you ever need it, adam's brother is a doc (technically, an intern) up at uw.

joyce said...

of course you knew that about aaron... you've known him longer than i have!

Colleen said...

Any news? Still in my thoughts and prayers...