Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A wee lil' update

Hmm....no pictures again. I guess I'll have to "steal" some from my facebook account from my birthday....even though probably everyone that reads this has Facebook (oh, except for Sheila!). I'll give you all a bit of an update on what's going on in our lives (I'll be stealing Tiffany's update layout as well.)

Jess: My week usually consists of hanging out with Grayson at home these days because of our crappy weather. No exciting trips to the park, hikes or wildlife refuge walks. I LONG for some sun...and more than just a day of it. Despite the lack of sun, we do manage to stay pretty darn busy.
I've been staying pretty consistent with my exercise routine because mama put on too many winter pounds....and because I've unofficially decided to do an Olympic length triathlon at Sunriver this year. Every year several of my family members head down to Sunriver in June for their annual Pacific Crest Endurance weekend. Its a 3 day extravaganza of a multitude of races: kids triathlon, marathon, 1/2 marathon, half-ironman tri, olympic tri, olympic du, 10k, 5k, kids 1 mile and 1/2 mile. We've been going for the past 6 years I believe...and I normally do the 1/2 marathon, minus the time I did the 5k post-pregnancy. Even though the running races are great and I've enjoyed them (or at least afterwards), I'm a bit tired of the 1/2 marathon here. So...I've decided that I may (again...haven't fully committed yet) do the Olympic triathlon. This race consists of a 1.5k swim (about a mile), 28 mile bike ride, and a 10k run. Every year I tell myself that I would really like to try this race...so I figured that now is the time! The reason I feel that now is good is because I started doing Spin classes in February and they are rocking my world (and arse)! I can't believe that I had never tried this class before now. I guess I was too intimidated and I can finally now get out of comfort zone with a lot of things in my life. My main issue about doing an Olympic distance tri was that I wasn't getting enough time on the bike. Its just kind of a pain in the boo-tay to put the bike rack on the car, pump up my tires, gather all neccessary bike gear and Grayson's stuff, load the bike cart and the bike and then drive out to Rainier to unload it all and then FINALLY get a ride on the trail. This didn't happen everytime because I did get rides in by myself...but I still would drive to the trail because I don't feel comfortable riding on the road with no shoulder. Anyway, now that I'm doing Spin classes, I feel like the missing piece is in place....and beyond! Now, my running is what is lagging behind. However, I do know that I have enough experience in that part not to worry too much. I've been getting in at least one swim...so I've got to step that up a bit too. I'm looking forward to being able to get into my wetsuit and swim the lake. Anyway, all of that long winded talk about this triathlon stuff was to illustrate my busy-ness with driving to the gym (40 mins away) and working out, or fitting in a solo run(s).

Besides the working out, I've almost finished my indoor home projects. These include a massive decluttering, painting of our bedroom and re-decorating, re-arrangement of the office and painting of the master bath. I've gotten pretty hard core about decluttering and getting rid of a lot of stuff. I'm looking forward to the community garage sale in May! It has been such a great feeling freeing up space, organizing stuff and rearranging. It really changes the energy in the house! I now walk by my office and think "Oh I really like my office now!" That one was a huge undertaking...but the rewards are great! Now I leave the door open! Our bedroom is also a nice and welcomed change. I love the color I've painted and I'm excited for the other things I've got planned. I'm going to attempt my first "mural" behind our bed and also on another wall. Its going to be quite a simple one...using only 2 colors, but if it turns out like it has in my head then I think it will look pretty cool. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

I'm also trying to get in one day a week of work for my friend Carol who does PR stuff...and also do stuff at dad's house (cleaning, decluttering and organizing). I still work 1 day a month at the clinic and have a little bit of my Arbonne on the side.

Besides all that, I fit in time for friends and family, lectures/presentations/classes, book club and my own reading at home and of course...my Facebook addiction. :)

As far as my health is concerned....I'm still quite anemic and still have too low of thyroid and too low cholesterol. So, we have switched things up and I'm taking some stronger supplements for these things. I'm really gonna eat a ton of eggs for Easter too! Thank God we have fresh organic eggs just down the street at Gary and Debbies! Since I've switched to stronger stuff I feel better and can tell that I have a bit more stamina in my workouts. I'm excited to be able to push it at 100% now!

Heath: Heath has been working in his new position at the Department of Transportation for several months now (I forget when he started). He seems to really enjoy his job now...which is a huge plus! He does bridge inspections all over the state, so he gets to travel and get outside. He is even considering going back to school at some point to get his engineering degree. Shortly after he switched jobs he also switched to a 5 day a week work schedule instead of four 10 hour shifts. This has its advantages and disadvantages...but I think mostly that it works out the best for us. It gives him more time in the evening to go to the gym after work and/or get home earlier. He has also been doing Spin classes 2 nights a week and is really enjoying that as much as I am. Its hard work...but great payoffs!

Heath's allergy stuff has been doing ok for the most part. Its been difficult for him to stay away from yeast (bread, beer) and garlic...but he is doing pretty good at it. He can definitely tell when he is "naughty". He will be going in for a consultation/biopsy of his lymph nodes this week. He has had enlarged lymph nodes in his neck since at least October and recently had an ultrasound from recommendation from our natropath. The radiologist then recommended a biopsy. We aren't worrying too much about it...and Heath seems to be more ok with it than I am. But...like he says, "It is what it is". Yep. We are hopeful that everything will be just fine!

Grayson: This kiddo has gotten so big in the past few months...big as in physically and mentally! It has been really nice to actually carry on conversations with him. He is pretty darn funny too. Sometimes he asks me questions about mine or Heath's well-being or such and it is so sweet. Like, "You have a good run Mama?" I wish I could remember some of the other questions he asks, but mom brain has kicked in. When he says these things he seems like he is truly interested in your thoughts and feelings. He is really into singing right now and will usually sing throughout the day. He sings the song I sing to him for bedtime called "Roso-day"...which is the song my grandma always sang. Its got a lot of funny words in it like "fillacadoosha, shimanaroosha, balda ralda boom too dee, boom too dee, boom too dee-ay". He also sings Daddy's song too of Jesus Loves Me. Other songs he loves are "Hit the Road Jack", "Itsy bitsy Spider", "Wheels on the Bus", "Twinkle, Twinkle", "ABC's" and many others. A lot of time when we are driving he will make me go through my iPod until he likes the song. Thankfully he likes my music and I don't have to endure any silly Barney songs or anything. We rock out in the car and he really likes playing the drums to the White Stripes and the piano in Citizen Cope. Speaking of piano: the other day I had some jazz on the satellite station and a Vince Guaraldi song came on. He heard it and then says, "That Snoopy mama?" I had to think for a moment of what he meant and then it hit me that he recognized the same piano style as Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas. That blew me away! Then the other day he picked out the piano in one of Citizen Cope's songs. Hmmm.....maybe a piano prodigy ?? I really try to focus on having him notice different sounds and smells, so maybe that has paid off. I always mention the frogs, the robin's song and other bird sounds and then anything else that we usually tune out. As far as smells, he now says to me "I smell something". Then I ask him, "What do you smell?"...and then he will tell me what it is. The kid is spot on too!

Ok, another thing I have to brag about is his counting. He can count to 10 in English, Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese and part of German. Since I don't know the German one it makes it harder for him to learn. I guess I need to hurry up and learn that one and maybe some others. He is also picking up a little of the French alphabet too and sometimes combines it with the English version. Fine by me!

For several months he has been able to go right to sleep when we put him in bed at night. I'm soooo glad that this finally works! The thing that made it work was when we put a doorknob cover on the inside of his door awhile ago. It only took 2 times (in one night) of him not being able to get out for him to negotiate with us about staying in bed and us leaving the door cracked open. It totally worked! I do still lie down with him at nap time, but I think its been good for me because I never take naps normally....and lately I've been needing to and will usually fall asleep with him for awhile.

Grayson is turning 3 in less than 2 months! Its so hard to believe that he is that old already!

So much for a wee lil' update...this is a dang novel!

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Busy busy! My - you make my head swim - how do you have so much energy?? I also have extremely low cholesterol... 69... and low thyroid but what does that mean for your health? I thought that was a good thing???

Brian & Kara said...

It always continues to surprise me how good decluttering feels. It's like the less you have, the better you feel. I've adopted an overall theme from a book I read, "if you don't need it or love...lose it!"
It's supposed to make you more successful in other areas of your life too. =)

Anonymous said...

"It is what it is!" I've heard that from Heath a few times lately. That's my new mantra too! Let me know what happens with the tests. Jess, can you please come and organize my closets? They're driving me nuts!

Grayson is so smart counting in all of those languages! He can call Aunt Sheila for some German tutoring. Counting to ten is one thing I've learned very well in German class. :)

MJP said...

I hope you are feeling better. Did you love the nice weather we had. I loved it. I wish it would hang out for a while. I hope to see you soon.